I started receiving the message below on an almost daily basis about six
weeks ago. It is a QSYSOPR message with message ID CPI1479.

 Message . . . . :   Interactive activity approaching capacity of installed

  feature.

Cause . . . . . :   The interactive feature installed on this system is

  capable of using 37.8 percent of the total system processing power for

  interactive work (applications that use a 5250-like datastream to

  communicate with the workstation).  Interactive activity on this system
has
  exceeded the threshold value of 32.4 percent of the total system
processing
  power.  If the interactive workload is allowed to increase, interactive

  response times may become erratic and total system throughput may be

  diminished due to the overhead incurred when the interactive threshold is

  exceeded.

  This message will be repeated every 60 minutes until the amount of
interactive activity on the system is reduced below the threshold value.
Recovery  . . . :   Examine the interactive work on the system and determine

  if it can be reduced.  If not, an upgrade of the interactive feature may
be
  required to achieve optimal throughput as the interactive workload grows.

    Additional interactive analysis can be achieved using the Performance

  Monitor capabilities of Management Central in the AS/400 Operations

  Navigator product.

Of course, I have been away from my desk or in another application on my PC,
every time the message has appeared so I have been unable to determine  what
job(s) is sucking up the interactive CPU.  I have not received the message
more than once (maybe twice) in one day.

1)      Should I spend the time to pursue the root cause of this?  We have
had no performance issues since we upgraded from a 620-2179 to an
820-2395-1523 last fall.

2)      Could this be caused by queries?  We have over 6,000 queries and 275
users on our box and most users run their queries interactively.

3)      Could this be caused by SQL?  We recently started some applications
that use SQL through ODBC.  I turned the SQL monitor in OPS NAVIGATOR on for
a few hours one day and did an analysis but did not find anything
significant.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

        Bryan Burns
        AS/400 System Operator