> wrkdsksts shows no 1 disk unit greater than 10%. is 35% a cumulative
> number?
> I do not see anything in wrksysact abnormal...what would show there?
high
> cpu util? page fault? Even if the machine automatically ipl'ed (how
can I
> tell?), would that cause this problem? Is temp address % of .051 too
high?
> Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!

Rick,

Having each disk below 10% is good, that's not your problem then.

You've said that you have a performance problem.  I assume by 'sluggish'
that you mean interactive response times are higher than normal and
batch jobs take longer to run.  Is this the case?

The most common cause of an overall sluggish system is that some job or
task is consuming CPU resources, thus making them unavailable to other
jobs.  This would show up most obviously in the WRKSYSACT display.  If
you are showing no jobs with very high CPU utilization and your overall
utilization is less then 100%, then you'll need to look elsewhere.

Usually the three systemic resources that affect overall performance are
CPU utilization at 99+ percent, disk activity around 40%, or heavy
swapping/paging in your memory pools (thrashing).  From what you have
described, you have eliminated all three.  Double-check your readings
for these three factors and make sure that you have a realist sample
interval.  Use F10 to reset your counters and then wait 15 seconds and
use F5.

Temp addresses used of .051 is fine.

You would find out if you IPLed by checking your history for the time in
question.  Prompt the DSPLOG command, fill in the relevant dates and
times, and then look through the entries for relevant information.  It
is possible that your machine had been tuned by hand and that an IPL set
it back to its defaults.

Can you define 'sluggish' with a little more precision?

Regards,
Andy Nolen-Parkhouse