Sean,

>I should have been more clear.  The users can sign off completely.  They
>sign on, which calls the initial program we have been using for years
(last
>compiled 04/07/01) then they press the attention key without doing
anything
>else.  It immediately crashes with no recursive calls and no error
messages
>sent to the user.  The attention key program was last compiled 03/20/01.
>(DSPF for each has the compile date the same as the program object.)
>
>I tested on our test profile, and it crashed too.  I granted it every
>authority that I have in my profile (we are already in the same group) and
>it still crashed.
>
>When I press the attention key, it works fine.  I can't seem to come up
with
>anything else.

This sounds like something is different in the environment between your job
and the test users job. Here are some questions that may help you find the
problem:
1) Are any preattention program exit programs registered? Use WRKREGINF to
check QIBM_QWT_PREATTNPGMS. If one or more are registered you should use
the Retrieve Profile Exit Programs (QWTRTVPX) API to determine which ones
will be called for you and which ones will be called for the test profile.
2) Do you get the same error when the test user calls the attention program
directly (from a command line)?
3) You have already verified that your user profile and the test user
profile have the same special authorities. Do they have the same private
authorities? Does your profile own any objects used by the attention
program or something it calls? It is possible that you are getting
authority to some object becasue you own it while the test profile is not
authorized.
4) Do both jobs have the same library list?
5) Does one of the user profiles or SETATNPGM commands fully library
qualify the name of the attention program while the other uses *LIBL to
find it?
6) Do both jobs have the same environment variables?  Use WRKENVVAR to
answer this question.
7) It sounds like the initial program of the test profile is different than
the one you use. What are the differences?

You may also wish to use STRSRVJOB to service the test users job and then
do a TRCJOB to see if some programs in the test user job are recursively
looping.

Ed Fishel,
edfishel@US.IBM.COM