Roger Mackie
-----------------------

From: Douglas Handy <dhandy1@bellsouth.net>
To: midrange-l@midrange.com
Subject: Re: ODBC performance with UPS Worldship
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 09:29:20 -0500

>Dave,

>In my case, I have it set to export to a simple table used exclusively to
>collect package data from the scale systems.  I have both Worldship and
Ship
>Manager only performing INSERTs, never an UPDATE even for Voids etc.  The
scale
>simply does an INSERT to a physical file with the transaction date.  The
table
>has a trigger on it which is reposible for adjusting the order charges and
doing
>the rest of the business rules processing.

Me too.

<snip>

>But performance was never the problem -- data truncation and mapping errors
were
>what we encountered using Worldship and the CA Express driver.

>Doug

Our FedEx Ship Manager software has customized SQL statements which go
straight to the correct files and fields. UPS Worldship has a field mapping
utility that (apparently) caused our performance problems. The AS/400 DB2
fields that export and import data are all character fields set to be the
same size as the corresponding UPS Worldship field definitions (available
from the Worldship help).

We have not experienced data inconsistencies using this approach with Client
Access PC ODBC drivers that match the version of the AS/400 ODBC host
server. YMMV. We convert from character to number with a homegrown RPG ILE
function that is ugly, but works for this purpose. If you need one, I
suggest searching the FAQ at http://faq.midrange.com for 'character string
to numeric data' and see if you can use Barbara Morris' much more flexible
function posted there.

Happy Programming!