How soon are you looking to do this; lets put it this way with V5R2 from
what I have
read so far, it will be much easier to do, and it sounds like IBM is heading
that
way anyhow (if I read the clips correctly, the 5250 green screen as we know
it,
is going the way of all html interfaces)

Things are bundled better/differently too when you get past V4R5 - as I
agree with
you at that level we went the way of RPG-CGI programs to write the html, the
issues
and difficulty of webshpeare at that stage where more headaches then we felt
like
bearing.  This decision was neither right nor wrong, for us it worked at the
time
as we really did not require additional skills (html is not that hard to
read and format,
its just another language).

Further on you will too have the choice of how the AS/400 will support web
services,
read up on it, and plan ahead so as not to get bit in the backside when some
old
familiar features fall by the wayside.  This will be a decision based on
technology
needs, financial resources, future upgrade plans, and eventually if you go
against
the grain of IBM the lose of support (not to try to lean you one way or
another,
I know of many who are happy with there AS/400 running on V3 something or
another,
as for myself, I like new "toys", so I try to stay current.

HTH
Mark A. Manske