Hi Joe,

I'm curious, do have any statistics to back up your assertion that
"Inquiries are only a small, rather trivial subset of business
applications."?  In any one of your applications, how many programs are
devoted to business logic vs the number for reports, inquiries, queries,
etc.?  I've never counted either, but it's always seemed to me that once the
base applicaton is setup, most of my time is spent on reports, inquiries and
queries.  And I know of one vendor application where user-written queries
may even outnumber the programs, but I haven't actually counted.  So I
wonder if "small" is appropriate.

And the best application in the world is useless unless you can get some
information out of it. Even a price lookup can be considered an inquiry if
it's being used by a sales rep answering a customer's phone call. Actually,
in some applications, a price lookup is nothing more than a CHAIN.  I doubt
that users would consider their reports, inquiries and queries "trivial".
Of course I'm sure you meant trivial to write, right? <G>

Do you actually use embedded SQL in your applications?  Or do you code your
inquiries with SETLL/READE?  In these days of cloning existing working code
to create a new program it can be faster and easier to go with an existing
paradigms than to use the newer methods.  I'm trying to use embedded SQL
whenever I can justify it (usually reports or inquiries) so I can learn it
and use its strengths, but the opportunities are becoming scarcer lately.

Regards,
Peter Dow
Dow Software Services, Inc.
909 425-0194 voice