We had met all of the requirements, according to IBM.  The L2 person that I
spoke to indicated that it was an improperly coded MF PTF.

Al

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com

                    rob@dekko.com
                    Sent by:                  To:     midrange-l@midrange.com
                    midrange-l-admin@mi       cc:
                    drange.com                Subject:     Re: CUME level V5R1

                    02/28/02 09:25 AM
                    Please respond to
                    midrange-l

Al,

I was reading the following:
http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/sline003.NSF/2d3aff1c6b4d6ce086256453000d971e/732fc553fce328bf86256a59001052bd?OpenDocument

which is
SF98063: Detailed Installation Instructions Only - (no PTFs listed)
And this cum was not just a 'slap and go' where you just load the cum cd
take option 8 and blast.  You have to load particular ptf's first from this
CD.  Did you do so?
I'll be happy to order this and install it here.  In fact my boss Chris
gave me orders to.  We have some 'sacrificial lamb' iSeries for just this
sort of stuff.

Benjamin Franklin

                    barsa@barsaconsulti
                    ng.com                    To:
midrange-l@midrange.com
                    Sent by:                  cc:
                    midrange-l-admin@mi       Fax to:
                    drange.com                Subject:     Re: CUME level
V5R1

                    02/28/2002 12:53 AM
                    Please respond to
                    midrange-l

C2036510 is the current CUMe, and my last two efforts to install this PTF
CUMe level, with hypers and groups has consistently failed. It needed a
second IPL, because some of the pre-reques/co-reques were improperly coded.

And IBM ask's me why I'm not recommending V5R1 (unless you have a valid
business reason to go to it,  a valid reason includes new function and/or
new models)!  If IBM plans to add lots of function to a release, they have
to support it properly.

IBM needs to get the software straight.  Screw hypers and groups, get thiis
stuff into the CUMes.  Two points:
   IBM claims that more frequent CUMes are too expensive.
   Al claims that the reason that you pay a premium for an AS/400 (really
   almost no one in the world knows that it's now called the iSeries) is
   because software screw-ups like this should not exist.

For IBM people (blind) copied on this note, I do have an open PMR from
Tuesday night for this on one system.  When we found it on the second
system, we just re-ipled.

IBM needs to just fix this!

Al

Al Barsa, Jr.