Dean

I think IBM did switch over in using a PC as your Operations Console now.
If you order a new iSeries, you implicitly order the cable to direct connect
a PC as your console.
A twinax controller is not normal anymore.
I am affraid IBM is thinking that a PC matured to a real production
environment machine by now ;(((.

I use a PC as console on a 820 (windows NT4), this PC-machine collapsed last
week.
Reboot-rebuild-reboot-reboot- etc I created a new console PC, BUT!!!!!!!
I had te re-ipl the AS/400 to get the damned thing recognized again.
But no I can do the restricted stuff from home, AT&T connection and VNC.
The VNC stuff is a nice enhancement, but in the past I used a PC with twinax
(386) and modem and PC anyw.. to do the same things.

If your console PC also has the remote controlpanel kind of thing (tomorrow
we should hear about Virtual Controlpanel, remote controlpanel is announced
deceased!) You can even power on in DST from home if you want to.
Still waiting for CD changer to load my CD's, maybe we can do a release
update from home in the near future?

Groetjes (Greetings)
Naam:     Eduard van den Braken
e-mail:   E.vd.Braken@HccNet.nl