I called this problem into IBM this morning after checking our system
since we just recently installed PASE on V5R1.

Apparently, the developer said that these nested directory structures
and their associated symbolic links are there to appease other
operating systems (Windows, Un*x systems, etc.) when developing
applications for the PASE environment.

When I asked why the OS/400 command WRKLNK showed the same
thing, they said that its logic is similar to the commands of these
*other* systems.  Interesting.  I thought he would be smarter <g>

Here are 2 important points:

1)      According to the developer, NO additional disk space is
taken up by these links.  It just appears that way when you use OpsNav,
WRKLNK, etc. to view the sub-directories/links.

2)      This only occurs at V5R1.  PASE at V4R5 will not show
this *quirk*.

One of the IBM folks said they've asked the developer to document
this behavior and place it into the Knowledge base.

Hope this helps,
Terry