Not exactly a state secret.  It's right near the top of the V5R1 Memo To
Users, that EVERYONE reads before upgrading, right ?  ;-)

1b)  Client Access Async Console not supported

Client Access Async Console is no longer supported beginning with V5R1.
In terms of cabling, the Client Access Async Console is similar to the
Operations Console direct cable connection. You must order a new
connectivity cable if you choose to use Operations Console through a
direct cable attachment. If you choose to use LAN connectivity, you must
use a standard LAN cable to attach the Operations Console PC
workstation.

Refer to the PC and iSeries system requirements chapters in the iSeries
Operations Console Setup (SC41-5508-2) documentation to determine which
hardware features you need.

1c)  Migrations from Operations Console with cable connectivity to
          Operations Console with LAN connectivity

Prerequisite information for existing Operations Console users You must
comply with the following before upgrading your software (OS/400,
Licensed Internal Code, and so on) to V5R1:

1. Update Client Access Express to V5R1 by using the Operations Console
   Update CD, SK3T-4114, and check for the latest Client Access Express
   service pack from
         www.ibm.com/eserver/iseries/clientaccess/casp.htm
2. If you are upgrading to V5R1 and you are currently using Operations
   Console at V4R5 on an iSeries Model 270, 820, 830, or 840 with a 2745
   card and a 2771 card installed in the system unit, comply with the
   following (To check for the location of the 2771 card, look for it in
   the same proximity, vertically or horizontally, as the 2745 card,
   where the console is currently plugged in.): Power down the iSeries
   server and move the Operations Console cable from the 2745 card to
   the 2771 card, and then continue with Step 3.
3. If you are upgrading from a pre-V5R1 version of OS/400 to V5R1 and
   you are currently using Operations Console at a previous release,
   there is no mechanism to change the password on the iSeries server.
   Therefore, after Licensed Internal Code (LIC) installation, the
   character-based interface (5250 emulation) goes away and does not
   return unless you do one of the following before performing the
   software upgrade:
   *  Establish a connection between the iSeries server and Operations
      Console PC using the user ID of 11111111 (there are eight 1s).
   *  Update Client Access Express to V5R1.

If you experience any difficulties re-connecting Operations Console
after upgrading to V5R1, please refer to APAR MA23328.

..Neil

"M. Lazarus" <mlazarus@ttec.com>
Sent by: midrange-l-admin@midrange.com
2002/02/25 21:55