Dear Leo,

Last year I crafted a small report about the growing use of digital
copier/printers in organizations that also use the IBM iSeries and AS/400
hosts as well. These office equipment devices are frequently called MFP's
which is an abbreviation for multifunction peripheral. The Toshiba e-Studio
devices that you are installing fall into this category of combination
machine. Some general information about them would be as follows:

The MFP segment includes a low end of device (for home use or small
business – frequently using InkJet or Laser printing technology), a medium
powered device category (typically a digital copier – printer with a rated
throughput in the 25 to 80 PPM range) and a high end device category
frequently used in the print shop and print on demand industry segments.

One of the software development companies known for creating OEM print
drivers (Software 2000) includes the following quote regarding the growing
use of digital copiers as printers on their web site
http://www.sw2000.com/new/index1.html. “This segment has historically been
driven by technology-savvy copier suppliers. Today it threatens to replace
many of the business network printer devices with more capable and useful
machines. Devices are based on the combination of digital scanner, digital
printer, and copier and printer interfaces. Users can operate the device
as-if a standalone photocopier with the same ease they are familiar with,
and as a networked high-speed computer printer. Printer features are similar
to high-end business lasers although speeds are commonly higher due to the
copier engine expertise by many companies in this area.”

Companies that own iSeries or AS/400 hosts are beginning to purchase the MFP
machines, that are rapidly filling the medium powered device category
described above, on a recurring basis. End users trying to link their
iSeries hosts to these MFP machines for printing purposes are finding some
new challenges that are sometimes rather difficult to overcome. Currently
IBM has rather limited information available on the iSeries – AS/400
Technical Support web page that explains the steps to follow to successfully
configure an OS/400 printer device description that can properly support an
MFP.

The answers to your specific questions would be as follows:

1. What iSeries Host Print Transform driver program to use - Remote Output
Queue in order to use LPR as the transport protocol. If you need to print to
an actual iSeries print device, create a virtual printer that is not made
active at IPL and link it to your remote output queue.

The MFP print controller market has moved much more slowly than the
multi-protocol printer interface market segment (ie products like HP
JetDirect) into supporting the Raw TCP Socket printing protocols (frequently
referred to as port 9100 by many users). Lack of Raw TCP Socket support in
the MFP print controller prevents you from using the iSeries HPPCLDRV
driver.

Also the support for SNMP has been slow to materialize in many of the MFP
print controllers because the original printer MIB (RFC 1759) didn't say a
lot about the management of finishing features (hole punch, stapling,
booklet creation, etc.). A new updated RFC is just now heading into the
Standards Track approval process that describes how to manage these extended
printer capabilities across a network by using SNMP. It is therefore quite
likely that by the end of this year there will be SNMP enabled MFP print
controllers appearing in the marketplace that support the SNMP feature set
required by the iSeries IBMSNMPDRV driver program. This is typically not the
case today.

2. What Manufacturer Type and Model to Select When Enabling Host Print
Transform on the iSeries host - My first suggestion would be the HP 5si for
the e-Studio 45. The reason is that the input tray mappings (WSCST Tag
DWRSLT) for the HP 5si very closely match the values used by the Toshiba
GL-1010 print controllers.

e-Studio 45 w/GL-1010 Print Controller

e-Studio Input Tray Description             PCL Tray Selection Number

Upper Tray                                             1
Lower Tray                                             4
Pedestal Upper Tray                                    5
Pedestal Lower Tray                                    20
Pedestal With Only the Large Capacity Tray             5
Instead of the two smaller trays

In this scenario, the only input tray selection number that is unsupported
by the HP 5si is Pedestal Lower Tray.

When printing to the e-Studio 80, I would suggest the Host Print Transform
HP 8000 driver as the first choice when using the GA-1060 print controller
since the only input tray selection number that is unsupported by the HP
8000 is the Lower Cassette. If printing to the e-Studio 80 with the SC-2
print controller, I would suggest the Hp 5si driver as the first choice
because the only input tray selection number that is unsupported by the HP
5si is the Lower Cassette.

e-Studio 80 w/GA-1060 Print Controller

e-Studio Input Tray Description             PCL Tray Selection Number

Upper Cassette                                           1
Middle Cassette                                          5
Lower Cassette                                           10
Large Capacity Feeder                                    8

e-Studio 80 w/SC-2 Print Controller

e-Studio Input Tray Description             PCL Tray Selection Number

Upper Cassette                                           1
Middle Cassette                                          4
Lower Cassette                                           20
Large Capacity Feeder                                    5

If either the e-Studio 45 or the e-Studio 80 is using a Fiery print
controller (GA-1040 or GA-1110), you will need to get the PCL 5e reference
for the controller from Toshiba in order to determine the PCL numbers that
select the input trays.

3a. Other Things to be Aware of When Printing SCS Data to an MFP -
Frequently end users want to select finishing options for their iSeries
output. The commands that activate finishing options on an MFP when using
PCL based data streams are known as PJL (Printer Job Language) commands.
These commands are always sent at the beginning and the end of a job in
order to set the default environment for the processing of a particular
spool file. The Host Print Transform function of OS/400 has no support for
PJL commands.

If you create a PC5250 print session with Client Access that does not use
Host Print Transform (uncheck the box Transform Print Data to ASCII on
AS/400), the OS/400 EBCDIC data would be transferred natively from the
iSeries to the PC running Client Access. If you also make sure that you do
not select the Use PDT checkbox, Client Access will convert your EBCDIC data
into a Windows format known as GDI on the PC running Client Access. The GDI
format is the generic input format required by Windows print drivers. You
should be able to use the appropriate Toshiba Windows print driver to format
the data and all of the finishing options will then be supported.

Besides Client Access there are some third party iSeries printing software
products in the marketplace that perform the same function as the PC5250
printer sessions available with Client Access.

3b. Other Things to be Aware of When Printing IPDS Data to an MFP - Since
Host Print Transform doesn't support PJL commands and the Client Access
PC5250 sessions don't support the conversion of native IPDS formatted data
streams into other data stream formats, the third party software market is
currently the only option available for processing iSeries resident AFP
enabled applications that an end user would like to merge with finishing
options such as hole punching and stapling available on an MFP. The only
other option currently available from IBM is to transform the AFP output to
PDF and then print the PDF file through a standard Toshiba print driver
choosing the appropriate finishing options.

Also Beware Duplex - Sometimes (but not always) Fiery controllers will use a
special Letter paper size command that is unique to the Fiery controller in
order to know whether the Letter paper has been installed in portrait or
landscape orientation in an input tray. If the Fiery controller doesn't
receive its unique paper orientation command, it is not possible to invoke
short edge duplex when printing on Letter sized paper. Typically you can
sneak the appropriate PCL sequence into the Paper Drawer Selection Tag of a
WSCST, as a second PCL sequence to send, when it is found to be necessary.

Bottom Line - Both the iSeries - AS/400 hosts and the multifunction
peripherals are very good business productivity tools. With a little effort
and imagination, they can be made to work together efficiently and reliably.

HTH

Best Regards,

/Paul
--