If you want the gory details about tuning for threaded applications take
a look at

http://www.iseries.ibm.com/tstudio/tech_ref/perftune/threads.htm

Your problem may not just be the AS/400. It could be a network issue.
Let's assume for the moment that it is an AS/400 problem.

When FTP is running in the batch subsystem, it is contending for all the
resources allocated to that subsystem.  While the number of FTP jobs is
important, the activity level (number of threads) assigned to QBATCH,
may be the problem.  This became a major issue with V4R4.

The easiest way to adjust this is to set the system value QPFRADJ to 3
and watch the changes to QBATCH while testing the FTP.  Be sure to
record your existing parameters for the subsystems, like activity level
and memory allocations.  With luck, the problem goes away!

Best Regards

Fritz Hayes
Atwater Associates

<snip>

|The job runs in batch and the system tuning is set not
|to change automatically.
|
|How do I check the number of threads for FTP?  The
|chgftpa only shows number of initial jobs.
|
|Thanks,
|
|Phil
|

|>This might be due to a limit on the number of threads
|>for the ftp
|>service in batch.  The 426 message is a >temporary
|'connection failed'

http://auctions.yahoo.com