I did a little research, Martin.  From my understanding, FERPA does two
things.  First, it allows parents to request that "directory" information
(name, address, phone number) not be disclosed.  For example, a parent can
choose that their child not be listed in a student directory.  This is the
issue that you are running up against.  More interesting to me, at least
from a social sense, is that FERPA actually weakens privacy by requiring
that any student information to be made available to "appropriate agencies"
regardless of the consent of the parent.  I think this is a reaction to the
wave of school violence, making student records available to law enforcement
agencies.

In any event, FERPA is primarily a school issue, and probably doesn't
impinge as much on anybody else.  At the same time, the concept of
information privacy is a vast one, and the idea of requiring user security
for data access on a row and column basis makes unfettered ODBC access even
scarier.

But that's just me on another one of my ODBC bashing jaunts <grin>.

Joe