I am running V5R1 so I have *read.  I was playing around with the earlier
question with some sample code and I have a question.  How do you stop a
read?  This is how I implemented it:
     C                   IF        RECKEY='yabba'
     C                   exsr      fail
     C                   return
     C                   EndIf
     C     Fail          BEGSR

     C                   CALLP     QMHSNDPM('CPF9898':
     C                                      'QCPFMSG   QSYS      ':
     C                                      'Not authorized to record.':
     C                                      300:
     C                                      '*ESCAPE':
     C                                      '*':
     C                                      1:
     C                                      xyz#a:
     C                                      errc0100)

     C                   ENDSR
And my joblog looks like this when I do a RUNQRY QRYFILE(mylib/myfile)
runqry qryfile(mylib/myfile)
Not authorized to record..
Application error.  CPF9898 unmonitored by TRIGGER at statement *N,
  instruction X'0000'.
Error occurred in trigger program.
Query cannot be run.  See lower level messages.
Query cannot be run.  See lower level messages.
I think this is user vicious.

Granted - rpg would be easier to handle because you can check for %status,
%error and what not - like I do with the following:

     FTESTFILE  IF   E           K DISK    INFDS(testfileds)
     F                                     rename(testfile:testfiler)

     D testfileds      DS
     D tf_FILE           *FILE
     D tf_OPEN_IND             9      9N
     D tf_EOF_IND             10     10N
     D tf_STATUS         *STATUS
     D tf_OPCODE         *OPCODE
     D tf_ROUTINE        *ROUTINE
     D tf_LIST_NUM            30     37
     D tf_SPCL_STAT           38     42S 0
     D tf_RECORD         *RECORD
     D tf_MSGID               46     52
     D tf_SCREEN         *SIZE
     D tf_NLS_IN         *INP
     D tf_NLS_OUT        *OUT
     D tf_NLS_MODE       *MODE

     d gohome          s               n   inz(*off)
     d x               s             10i 0
     d y               s                   like(x)

      /free
       setll(e) *loval testfile;
       read(e) testfile;
       // if tf_STATUS=1299 'Other I/O error detected'
       // this is probably a trigger error.
       dow not gohome;
        read(e) testfile;
        gohome=*off;
        // if you want to break out of the loop - use the debugger.
        // Below is a nice breakpoint to set.
        x=y;
       enddo;
       *inlr=*on;