I don't think it would work in your situation, but what we've managed to do
so far is restrict end users' access to the name and address master to
applications available from a menu. Otherwise it requires a request for an
ad hoc job.  We're screening both explicit requests for do not mail or rent
as well as inclusion in the DMA opt out file.  I think most companies that
work with direct mail take this sort of thing seriously. Aside from the ill
will and possible legal action, there's the cost of mailing a catalog or
brochure to someone you know is not going to look at it.