Well, the perception of that is probably what cost IBM shares $2
yesterday. But I would doubt it's true.

One thing to note about Enron, and all major corporations, is that they
paid their execs partially in stock options. Stock options are great,
but you can only spend them if you sell the stock. So Enron execs were
selling their stock long before there was any sign of trouble, because
that is how they collect their money.

Lou is selling his stock to collect his pay with IBM. If he doesn't
start selling chunks of his holdings now, then he'll be stuck at some
point in the future where he wants to sell a much bigger chunk which
would look even scarier to the market. I remember similar scare posts
when Bill Gates recently sold some stock, but his stock went up 20%
after he sold it.

Also, no matter how much Gerstner trusts Palmisano, we all know the ride
is a lot scarier from the passenger seat than from the driver's seat.

--
Chris Rehm
javadisciple@earthlink.net

Beloved, let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one
that loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. 1 John 4:7