From: Scott Klement <klemscot@klements.com>
To: "Midrange List (E-mail)" <midrange-l@midrange.com>
Subject: Re: Encryption packages
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 16:34:34 -0500

Hi Howard,

Reading your message, a few things popped into my head:

What exactly are you going to do with the encrypted data?

   a) does an external system need to be able receive your encrypted data
        and decrypt it?
   b) will an external system be sending you encrypted data that you need
        to decrypt?

The reason that I ask is that OS/400 has objects that can be used to
store usernames & passwords in an encrypted format, where all the
encryption work is hidden from your program.  This works great if you
just need a list of userids/passwords that are valid for a certain
resource, but not so well if you need to transfer it over a LAN and
decrypt it somewhere else.

If you do need to transfer it, the AS/400 has an MI instruction called
"CIPHER" which is capable of doing DES encryption.  DES was a great
encryption back in it's day, but by todays standards is pretty weak.
Still, if the security of it isn't REALLY CRITICAL, then this might be
a good option.