Adam Lang wrote:

> Ok then, here is your big problem.
>
> For any type of scalability using a Windows machine, you will need to run
> NT.

actually you can run on the new xp, which runs the same basic
kernel as NT, and you can always run NT workstation.

We have also found 98 release 2 to be very stable.

> Then, you are going to need to have your main application run at all times
> as a service.

We've run our servers both ways. If the PC is in a secure
location, and is used only for this service, it really isn't
necessary to run it as a service.

> Visual Basic can not make an application that runs as a service.  You have
> to use C++.  (There IS a way to run a VB app as a service, but it is
> unsupported and has severe memory issues.)

That may have been true years ago, but we have lots of companies
running our VB server software as a service under NT. There are
a number of very good VB addons that will make it possible to
run as a service. We write all of our servers to run either ways

> Of course, this may be different with VB.Net.

VB net is a joke. It's not VB.

> I will think over it more and see if I can think of other issues ... not to
> burst your bubble, but to help find possible hitches ... I assume that is
> one reason you posted your idea to the list.

Yes, thanks.

--
Brad Jensen brad@elstore.com
President

LaserVault Report Retrieval & Data Mining
www.Laservault.com

www.eufrates.com - Add distance learning to
your site with easy course preparation