Hello unnamed person :)

I have done something similar to this before, as I recall, but didn't
attempt to inform the user the query had failed with a message panel. The
purpose in my case was to force users to send long running queries to batch

My suggestion would be to change the job to use the default reply - in fact
if you want to prevent the query running this would be the only way to do
it - if the message turns up on the screen the users will undoubtedly take
"I" to ignore it, thereby defeating the whole purpose of the exercise.

In my situation I was only interested in preventing queries from being run
interactively in WRKQRY (i.e. command 5 in query) so cancelling was not a
problem. I seem to remember that the guts of the message is displayed at
the bottom of the screen after the query "fails".

Bear in mind that you will need to change the query attributes back when
you exit your query function otherwise any other subsequent query type
functions (for instance OPNQRYF type activity - and probably SQL as well)
will be subject to your limit also. This may be somewhat disruptive
depending on your applications...

You should also alter the job message handling back to whatever the default
is if you change it, and remove your message file override.

In other words - set everything back to how it was before you started :)

Hope this helps - I'm on holidays and can't take a look at any systems I
have access to for more details as I am struggling to remember my password...

Regards
Evan Harris