On Mon, 31 Dec 2001 13:35:24 -0500, "Adam Lang" <aalang@rutgersinsurance.com>
wrote:

>> ICBW...  My impression was that he started at Transmeta 2 or 3 years
>ago...
>> Either way, you figure he had any trouble finding a job...?
>
>I have to agree with ya here.  Linux was way on its way when Linus got a job
>at Transmeta, but so?  Like I said above, if you have talent, you have
>talent.  He would have found a job no matter what.  To the same elvel he has
>now? Eho knows.  Maybe he would have started a private business and be a
>billionaire.  Can't say.

IIRC, Transmeta uses a specialized Linux kernel/real-time OS to perform the
"code morphing" that allows Transmeta CPUs to run Intel binaries. Who better
to design such a system than the creator of the kernel himself? Linus'
contract with Transmeta allows him to also work on the Linux kernel on
Transmeta time, yet still retain rights to the kernel. Technology for code
morphing would be Transmeta property; regular kernel work is Linus'.

Alan Cox works for RedHat, but until recently was the #2 kernel hacker. Many
of the prominent figures in the Linux community work for companies that allow
them to their side work as well.

Loyd
--
"Why, you can even hear yourself think." --Hobbes
"This is making me nervous. Let's go in." --Calvin