Jim,

I didn't intend to imply that Unix is MORE capable or better suited to
parallel processing.  Just that it's more widely implemented on the box.

I agree basically with what you said about "Much of what passes for parallel
processing has to be coded into an application anyway."  But in both the
*nix and the mainframe worlds, and the scientific community in general,
they've put a LOT more R & D work into compilers that handle this
automatically.  BTW, I don't claim to know what the current state-of-the-art
is...  I suppose "Blue Gene" and "ASCII White" (whatever the latter is, for
forecasting weather or some such...?)  But it's WAY beyond what OS/400
offers.  They also do a lot of work in the area of multi-THOUSANDS of
parallel processors.

I assume that "Grid computing" is an extension of this.  I haven't seen much
action in the 400 industry on this, either.

But I don't view it so much as the 400 isn't capable, but that this isn't
their primary focus.  The technology will eventually get here, from the
other eServers, same way as Project eLiza was pumped into the other
platforms from the iSeries Division...  (Another advantage the Server Group
has, over it's competitors...!)

jt