On Thu, 27 Dec 2001, Chuck Lewis wrote:

> Just got a mailer from "Machines & Media" advertising the BOS e-Twin@ax
> Controller (see:  http://www.ipterm.com/etwinax/index.html ) anyone
> using one of these ?

Yes, we have someone who uses them.  I think they're great if you want to
keep green screen around.  And if you have places that don't need PCs (and
most places don't) then they are a lot less work to keep running than a
PC.  Set it up once and forget about it.

> We have quite a few "ageing" Perle 494e's attached via TCP/IP and this
> could be a replacement on down the road - and if the performance gains
> are true - that would be great !

I couldn't comment on the speed.  I guess the speed gains are compared to
dedicated analog phone lines?  If so then that all depends on the type of
connection from the e-twinax controller to your host.  A regular dail-up
modem connection won't necessarily gain you much.  But slap DSL on and
yeah, a big speed gain.

You should alsa note that they support encryption using a java server that
then sends the unencrypted data on to the AS/400.  The easiest way to set
this up (IMO) is to stick a linux box right next to your AS/400 and run
the java server on it.  I helped them fix their documentation on how to do
this (at least I hope they got it fixed).  Let me know if you have more
questions.

James Rich
james@eaerich.com