Yer just lucky it was a light day for me posting...!  RDLMAO...!

| >Port Samba as GPL'd software?
|
| Easiest approach and GPL is required if you start with the Samba codebase.
|
| >Rebuild using MI/HLL?
|
| Too much work to build from scratch.

Ahh...  little advantage then.

| Might need to make some pieces
| assembler for speed but I'd do that using ILE C rather than MI.

I saw an interesting comment (on MI-list, I thin') that C may actually
perform BETTER than MI, due to being compiled to w-code, which is HIGHLY
optimized.

| >Possibly better than Samba/PASE?
|
| Quite possibly but lots of work -- especially since it is difficult to get
| proper documentation for the SMB protocol.

Probably not worth the risk then.  Given the difficulties, I mean, I'd be
looking for some idea it would be A WHOLE LOT BETTER than the AIX version,
before starting something like this from scratch.

| >Timeframe/guesstimate?
|
| No idea.  PANOOTA.

What is this...?  Some phrase in Klingon...?!?

| >Any money in this?
|
| Unlikely.  NetServer is crappy but it is free and as we know, people will
| accept crap if it's free.  The AIX version of Samba should run in PASE and
| that's free too.  A chargable replacement would have to be significantly
| better than the free alternatives and even then is unlikely to succeed
| because the free ones are "good enough".

Well..  There you have it.

I'm not against doing stuff for free, per se.  But my plate of freebie jobs
is full, at the moment.  (Over-flowing, actually, as is my plate of paying
jobs to do...)  That's why I was asking about a time frame to start...

But doesn't appear to be much advantage, even if there was money in it...
So I leave it in good hands.. your's, Bryan's, and Scott's, that is...

Happy Humbug...!

jt