James,

This is what I was going to suggest also.

If you wanted to add a feature for the user's benefit, you could have 2
progress bars (where I gather they only get one now, for the current job
step).

You could do a couple quick timings of what percentage each program
approximately takes.  Add a field to *DTAARA, to log step the job is on.
And then add a second progress bar for the percentage of total job
completed.  Probably do all this for less time than setting up the *DTAQ.

As you said, James, the *DTAARA approach can also be used to lock out the
second CL from being run (on another terminal, for example), prior to the
first CL being 100% complete.  It was mentioned that if the job hangs, the
*DTAARA needs cleared, but then, in a check-run (I think this was?),
someone's likely to be looking into abend pretty closely anyway (I'd
think...;-).  One line of docs in the header should do the trick.

jt