Hi Booth,

Your AS/400 will be converting your spool files from the native AS/400
EBCDIC encoding to an ASCII equivalence before sending the data to the HP
printer. The AS/400 uses a facility called Host Print Transform to
accomplish this task. The print driver you choose in the Manufacturer Type
and Model field of the OUTQ determines the AS/400 features that can be
enabled during the HPT process.

Here is some information about a laser printer specific feature called
Computer Output Reduction (COR) that you might find useful.

When IBM Midrange computers were initially produced, letter quality printing
was supported with a daisy wheel printer. The printer, known as an IBM 5219,
could handle both green bar continuous forms paper being fed up through the
bottom of the printer or letter and legal size paper stored in cut sheet
feed trays.

When IBM prepared to begin shipping their first laser printer for the
Midrange environment (3812 model 1), they were faced with the need to
support applications that printed on paper that was too large to be fed into
a laser printer (green/gray bar paper). Their answer was to create a laser
printer function called Computer Output Reduction (COR). The feature worked
much like the reduction feature of a copier in that it reduced an incoming
report to 70% of full size. The form size received from the host had to be
larger than LEGAL paper in order for the COR function to be invoked.

All of IBM’s older direct twinax attach matrix printer products have a
defined carriage width of 13.2 inches while their modern printers have a
defined carriage width of 13.6 inches. Since these values are less than the
14 inch length of LEGAL paper rotated into landscape orientation, the COR
feature is usually triggered by the page length being greater than 8.5
inches (more than 51 lines at 6 LPI or 68 lines at 8 LPI). The COR font and
LPI substitutions are as follows:

Host Application Requests 10 CPI                -       Printer Uses 13.3 CPI
Host Application Requests 12 CPI                -       Printer Uses 15 CPI
Host Application Requests 15 CPI                -       Printer Uses 20 CPI
Host Application Requests 16.7 or 17 CPI        -       Printer Uses 27 CPI
(optional)

Host Application Requests 6 LPI         -       Printer Uses 8.6   LPI
Host Application Requests 8 LPI         -       Printer Uses 11.1  LPI

Top Margin                                              -       Set to ˝ inch
Left Margin                                             -       Set to ˝ inch

The COR function is only used with fixed pitch fonts (i.e. all characters
receive the same amount of space). It is not a good idea to map reports
constructed with fixed pitch fonts to a proportional font. If this procedure
is implemented; bolding, justification, and tabs may not appear as expected.

If you view the spool file attributes of a file in the output queue that
services your HP-4 Laserjet printer before it is printed, you will want to
verify that the Degree of Page Rotation field is set to *AUTO, *DEVD, or
*COR and that the page size referenced has a depth greater than 8.5 inches.

If the degree of page rotation field has a numeric value (0-Portrait,
90-Landscape, 180-Reverse Portrait, 270-Reverse Landscape), COR will be
automatically disabled by the numeric value.

HTH

Best Regards,

/Paul
--
Paul Tykodi
Director, Printer Connectivity Product Management

p: 603.431.0606 x115
f: 603.436.6432
paul@intermate-us.com
www.intermate.com