Jill,

    In order to run SAVE 21, you have to be at the system console.  The
reason for this is that the operating system will be backed up, and you
can't get a reliable backup while certain processes are running, since
they're constantly changing things in memory.The idea here is that everything
non-essential to the backup is shut down.

First, determine what your controlling subsystem is.  People on the list
have been assuming that it's QCTL (which is the default) but it could be
anything.   To find out, do this:

          DSPSYSVAL QCTLSBSD

The next thing you want to know is which display is your system console.
I've seen people on here refer to 'DSP01', and to 'see if your display is
in QINTER or QCTL'.   The reason they say this is because DSP01 is the
default name for the console (but you can change that), and QINTER is
the "interactive subsystem" in one of the default configurations.  (But,
in another default configuration QBASE is used for both batch &
interactive jobs...  plus it can be changed to be ANYTHING...)

Anyway...  to find out what your console is, type:

          DSPSYSVAL QCONSOLE

Now... go to the display that it lists there.  Sign on as QSECOFR.
End all subsystems:

          ENDSBS SBS(*ALL) OPTION(*CNTRLD) DELAY(60)

That delay is in seconds, and is the amount of time that you give
programs to end normally before the system kills them completely.
Depending on your environment, you may wish to adjust it higher or
lower.   Or change OPTION to *IMMED if you don't want to wait at all.

Monitor the messages in the QSYSOPR message queue by typing:

         DSPMSG QSYSOPR

once all of the jobs on the system have ended, you should see a message
that says "System ended to restricted condition".  (the phrasing might be
a little different -- I'm doing this from memory)

          Now type GO SAVE

          hit option 21.

If you have problems from there, once you get back tot he command prompt,
type DSPJOBLOG.

In the job log display, hit F10, followed by F18.  You should see any
errors that the system reported.   You can hit the HELP button, or F1, on
any of these messages to get more detailed information.

Good luck!