> email virus? what's an email virus? ;-)
Outlook is not the only risk ... see non-tech thread on Internet Hoaxes where
I gave some links ... for example you can send any e-mail to

security@talkbiz.com

and you will get back a LONG article (16 pages when I printed it) on basic
principles of security for PC users.

There's one virus that spreads without any action on your part.
It can delete everything on your system.
It can use your system to harrass 911.
It is not limited to Outlook users.

The FBI has an advisory on it @
http://www.nipc.gov/nipc/advis00-038.htm

Folks who want to pursue this perhaps can follow up discussion at non-tech
list.
The defense against this particular virus is to have a quality firewall on
your PC & install it properly.

> But digest mode sounds even worse.

The main reason digest mode is a nuisance is that non-digest mode users are
inconsiderate to digest users, in my opinion, and there is also the element
of HTML used by people insensitive to people who do not want to use HTML.

How often do you see a digest user doing a reply that should say
"Subject X" and instead say "Digest X"
This is pretty rare.  It is a case of a digest user being inconsiderate to
the non-digest users, through carelessness.  We non-digest users are
inconsiderate to digest users practically all of the time, through
carelessness.

> I also subscribe to the digest mode.  I like to peruse each digest I get in
>  the summary at the top -- if there is a subject that I think may help me, I
>  TRY to find it in the deluge of reply-tos with no cleanup -- let alone
>  those reply-to's to reply-to's that are multi-indented!
>
>  I agree with fellow posts that it should be simple netiquette to trim and
>  get to your point.

This also helps people who not doing digest.
Changing Subject when Subject changes is also helpful.

I think given the failings of a lot of our fellow e-mankind,
e-mail processors need SCAN like word processing, where we would cut & paste
the summary text into the scanner & then search for where that is in the body
of the mess; and
digest creation software needs some set of characters separating the
individual posts, that we can search for the next one, knowing it won't be in
the body because the software that manages the list strips that out of all
the individual posts.