On 18 Dec 2001, Martin Rowe wrote:

> I did wonder if it might be a half way house in the disk space issue
> discussed recently. Run the web server on the 400, but have static
> content served up via an NFS mount on the 400 from a RAIDed Linux (or
> *BSD) server box. Cheap disk & low cost hardware and the NFS share can

Hmm... is there a way to do this securely?  NFS is notorious for weak
security (though probably not more so than SMB).  I'm not sure if a
machine can run NFS securely on an internet-accessible interface.  I would
like to try it but it seems thorny.  Here is an example of what I would
like to do *securely*:

internet firewall

       hub--bastion host (iSeries exporting some directory)

internal firewall

       hub

   clients (NFS mount directories from iSeries)

Can this be done in a secure fashion?  My understanding is that it can't.

James Rich
james@eaerich.com