Adam,

The AS/400 supports telnet.  If your existing 400 has TCP/IP installed and
configured then it is a simple test - telnet to itself using the command
TELNET your400name.  If this fails let us know the exact error and we'll go
from there.  Oh, to end the telnet session they can use SIGNOFF ENDCNN
(*YES).  There is an attention key option but this is my preferred method.

I don't know how telnetting to a S/390 looks - you know, the pf keys and
whatnot.  But if you telnet from a 400 to a 400 you will notice ZERO
function difference.  However if you use DOS to telnet to a 400 you may
slice your wrists.

Wait, here's something sexy.  I was reading all the possible parameters on
the TELNET command on the 400 and they include:
Outgoing 3270 mapping table
  Library  . . . . . . . .
Incoming 3270 mapping table
  Library  . . . . . . . .

So I am sure uncle IBM has already come up with the best possible mapping
based on your 5250 keyboard du jour.

Keep the faith!

Benjamin Franklin

                    "Adam Lang"
                    <aalang@rutgersinsu       To:     <midrange-l@midrange.com>
                    rance.com>                cc:
                    Sent by:                  Fax to:
                    midrange-l-admin@mi       Subject:     3270 emulation and
TCP/IP and Terminals
                    drange.com

                    12/18/2001 01:56 PM
                    Please respond to
                    midrange-l

Hello,

I am new to this list.  I do some work with an AS/400, but I am mostly
Linux
and PC based.

I checked through your archives first and did not seem to find anything to
help me.

I am in the process of redesigning our companies WAN structure.  Currently
we have an AS/400 in NJ and an OS/390 in KY.  There is an SNA line between
the two of them.  Users that are connected to the AS/400 use streml3270 to
passthru to the OS/390.

I have gotten our KY office to setup TCP/IP on the OS/390.  We are
installing a TCP/IP data line between offices and eliminating the SNA line.
This is fine for the PCs using CA express, I figure I will just make a
second session that points to the OS/390.  What can I do about the dumb
terminals?  Is there still away to use streml3270 or something like it so
non TCP/IP connected devices can still passthru the AS/400 to the OS/390?

Adam Lang
Systems Engineer
Rutgers Casualty Insurance Company
http://www.rutgersinsurance.com