Nope, and it looks so damn useful.

I "appear" to be able to allocate memory using the _C_TS_malloc API but then
I'm screwed. If I declare the "pointers" as pointers in RPG then stuff
doesn't work because pointers in rpg are 16 bytes, but the teraspace stuff
wants 8 bytes. If I declare the pointers are 8 byte alpha fields I think I
get a valid allocation, but I can't tell because I can't use the memory
because I don't have a pointer to it. I found a PASE API that looks to
convert a teraspace pointer to a space pointer, but the api is very clear
that this can only be used in PASE programs.

C/C++ Programmers have it easy because you can change the storage model to
teraspace and all pointers will become 8-byte teraspace pointers. RPG is
teraspace "Enabled" but there is no way to change the storage model to
teraspace.

Teraspace looked incredibly cool for two reasons. 1) Memory allocations >
16Meg and 2) Pointers can be byte-aligned. I need >16Meg but the byte
alignment seemed so cool too. In my application I wanted to call a routine
that allocated the memory and returned the pointer to the caller as a "magic
cookie." The caller should never use the contents of the magic cookie it
should just pass it into other functions in my service program that
understood how to use it. I can do this with pointers but then I have to
tell the user of my routines to make sure that the quad-word alignment of
the pointer is preserved at all times, where byte-alignment has no such
problems.

-Walden

Walden H Leverich III
President