>  > If you read the thread, I carefully separated data
>  > into two categories: secured and unsecured.  This
>  > is a real and vital differentiation.
>
>  My idea of data is what you put in a database, records and fields.  In my
>  experience, the amount of data used for marketing and public awareness is
>  minimal.  Are you thinking otherwise?  Or would you agree that there is a
>  desire to protect the vast majority of data?

Perhaps a different terminology is needed for information or presentation
that does not need protection.  I personally think it is a black eye for a
web site to be defaced by hackers, but I agree that it might be less
expensive to just periodically replace what is there with what you had in
some backup.  I also agree that it is much more expensive to cope with having
your core data corrupted or stolen than say being a simple denial of service
attack victim.