Don,

That Paul Conte's a purty smart feller... (although I don't agree with all
his views on SQL...)

Good one, right back, Don...  I *know* the theory (although "Code Complete"
is shelfware):  if you eliminate the complexity of coding, you can put more
time and effort into the design...

However:

a) I'm still looking for the CASE tool that doesn't add yet ANOTHER layer to
the complexities of coding...
b) I'm also looking for the CASE tool that reduces DESIGN HORRORS...

I've seen progress, and maybe should re-visit the tools...  Clean design
requires A LOT of effort to MAKE the design sufficiently simple, yet not TOO
simple to handle the user's needs.. not TOO simple to handle all the
transactions the business is gonna throw at the system...

Haven't seen the CASE tool that helps find that balance.

===> If they do a good job, in this regard, I'd sure like to hear about
them...

I'm not sufficiently familiar with CASE projects to know if this happens:
it becomes SO EASY to churn out code, that the systems actually suffer, as a
result.  I've never done or seen projects where this occurs, but wouldn't
surprise me, either.

Another aspect of this problem, which I HAVE heard of in the PC arena...
Seen editorials warning against this:  as PC code "graduates" to being
legacy code, and as the tools have become SO easy to use.. a coder decides
to re-develop a system rather than improving an existing system.  Seen
accountants do this with spreadsheets, quite often...  Haven't seen this
with CASE tools, but would be surprised if it doesn't happen, to some
extent...

j "Who, likewise, has NEVER made THAT mistake" t ...;D

<snip comedy>