From: James Rich [mailto:james@eaerich.com]
Sent: Wednesday, December 12, 2001 2:45 PM
To: 'midrange-l@midrange.com'
Subject: RE: Transfer file using Ops Navigator?

On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Smith, Mike wrote:

> Thanks for the info on the qrydfn.
> as far as the pc style files.  i can find them, and i can see that they
are
> there, but i cannot open them up.  since i upgraded to client access
> express, i lost that ability.  i shouldn't have to install Netserver in
> order to open up a document on the IFS.  Seems like that is a step
> backwards.  Now instead of 1 product i need 2.

Not so.  Previous to Netserver you had to install client access on every
machine that wanted to use the IFS.  That is potentially a lot of
installs.  Netserver removes that need by doing things The Right Way:  put
the server software on the server where it belongs.  Netserver is a file
server and rightfully should be run on the server.  Client Access used to
provide a driver for file server like capability on an individual machine.
That was the dumbest thing they ever did with Client Access.

James Rich
james@eaerich.com