I believe that there is a real world situation that would allow some form of
comparison, although not scientific: the olympics.

IIRC, IBM had a iSeries running the merchandising order fulfillment along with a
bunch of other equipment for totally unrelated purposes (web serving, event
calendar, etc.)

I would be curious to see the statistics on actual equipment used, support
staff, software, etc. in relation to the transaction volume for just the iSeries
and it's scope of processing within the big picture.

I believe that this year SUN has a chance to strut their stuff and the number of
servers, etc. to handle merchandising order fulfillment in relation to the
transaction volume would allow one of these two companies (IBM or SUN) to have a
"real world" cost/performance marketing opportunity.

Naturally, the raw numbers would have to be adjusted for newer processing power
to get closer to an apples to apples comparison.