I think the best financial investment is to:

1. Find the CD that came free with every AS/400, or order another from IBM if
you have misplaced it.  This was the on-line class in "Getting to know your
AS/400" (fundamentals) that does in fact show everything that the AS/400 can
do, excluding the internet aspects.

You can get that by showing him book marks to great web sites that are