From:   Walden H. Leverich [mailto:WaldenL@TechSoftInc.com]
Sent:   Tuesday, November 27, 2001 11:14 PM
To:     'midrange-l@midrange.com'
Subject:        EZ-Setup - Bullsh*T!!!

<RANT> <VENT>

OK, I remember when we had to IPL to the A-side, install temporary PTFs, IPL
to the B-side, install perm and back to the A-side (or something like that).
That whole process was FAR easier than the BS I'm currently going through
trying to install a 270. If this is customer setup sign me up for a Solaris
box now!

Let's see, in one manual it says "manual IPL is the preferred method" yet in
another it says "Boot Normal." There is no clear STEP 1, STEP 2, STEP 3
process ANYWHERE that I can find, and it there is it's not clearly marked
since I can't find it! EZ-Setup just looks at me funny when it gets to the
connect step. The SLIP connection took 3 AS/400 IPLs to finally connect
cleanly. Another 2 IPLs before Ezsetup would move beyond the connect step.

OK, now beyond the connect step. Yes, I was warned that the EZ-Setup "is
best display with a small font" or something like that, but I run at
1200x1600 and I don't want to screw with my setup, sorry. Well, you should
see the setup screens in EZ-Setup, text boxes on top of list boxes, labels
that aren't even close to lining up with input fields, you have to guess at
what goes where. Hell, this almost looks like Java. Oh, and then there are
those damn dialog boxes that just want to hide themselves behind other
windows so you have to go digging for them, what's that all about?

OK, now I know that you only have to go through this once, and I guess I
should have bitten the bullet and just done the config myself, like I've
done on every other AS/400, but I wanted to take the easy route this time,
hah!

I know I'm nit-picking, but this is supposed to be EASY, hence the damn name
of the setup routine. If I was a customer that had chosen the AS/400 and
this was my first introduction to my new machine I'd be mightily pissed
off... Wait a minute, I am a customer and I am pissed off!

The only conclusion I can draw at this time is that ops console just isn't
ready for prime time, it's Twinax for me next time!

Am I the only one to experience this?

</VENT></RANT>

-Walden

Walden H Leverich III