I think the reason "why" is that 8 character passwords are not long enough
for people that care about the security of their systems.  Prior to V5R1 you
could put in more than 8 characters, but only eight were used.  A password
with only 8 characters is fairly trivial to break, even with a simplistic
approach like brute force.

So IBM decided to increase the allowable password length and they only
wanted to increase it this one time.  You don't have to use all 128 bytes,
but you are making a mistake if you advise people to stay with 8.

-- Charly

>128 byte password support was only introduced in V5R1, and I don't know of
>anyone who is using it.
>
>Would anyone on the list that is using it, please speak up.
>
>Maybe the question "why" is applicable.
>
>Al Barsa

"If you wanna end the war and stuff you gotta
sing loud." -- Arlo Guthrie

For their next act, they'll no doubt be buying a firewall running under NT,
which makes about as much sense as building a prison out of meringue.  --
Tanuki

Charly Jones
253 265-6244
Gig Harbor