> This ability to change the underlying physical layout
(including, for
> example, the fact that a file is physically moved to another
machine, or
> even another data format entirely) is the primary reason that a
> message-based architecture is so preferable to ODBC.

This must be peculiar to IBM's ODBC for the AS/400. It's totally
unfamiliar to me.

I only did one program a while back that did ODBC to the AS/400.

ODBC is not position dependent in any implementation that I know
about.

> In any event, with a server, I can change the table name and the
column
> names (or, as I pointed out, the machine that the data is
located on, or
> even the actual data representation, such as from EBCDIC to
ASCII).  All I
> have to do is modify my server accordingly, and the client does
not change.

Well ,it seems to me that with programming you can decouple the
data representation at any level you choose.