Bruce,

> several things come to my mind whenever confronted with this situation....
>
> -- what version are you running? V5 can have collections (the new
peformance
> stuff, but back to V4R3 or 2) that are humongous.... need to look in ops
> nav.

We're one V4R3, but I'm getting V4R5 and were going to install it (that
will be another question sometime in the near future - I've never upgraded
the OS on an AS/400, only on a VAX). I'm only keeping 4 days of performance
data - is that too many, we really don't use it for anything.

> -- are you sharing drives through netserver to pcs? some uses can fill 50
GB
> of dasd all by themselves and do it suprisingly quickly... that's on the
ifs
> and again the disktasks or ops nav can help.

The only shared drive we have is mine, and I try to keep it clean. All our
other users have shares on NT at their local plants.

> -- journaling environment? Mapics may not be a good place for it, but that
> doesn't always stop someone... I have done it myself, but journal
receivers
> can get out of hand, especially with an errant program.

I did find a huge one in a test environment, so I stopped the journaling
and deleted the file. It's size was 1,011,027,968.

> -- processing mail? On the summary report from disktasks menu, there is a
> section on distributions and one for mail... check these. A mail flood can
> fill up dasd fast too.

We aren't doing any mail...

> -- are you using BRMS? If you are, wait until you see how much space this
> monster takes up.... ;-) Run the maintenance in BRMS over a weekend. It's
> biggie.

We don't have BRMS, but we did look at it at one point in time.

Thanks :)

Rebecca