==================
Benjamin Franklin
----- Forwarded by Rob Berendt/DEKKO on 11/12/2001 11:14 AM -----

                    Rob Berendt
                                         To:     Rob Berendt/DEKKO@DEKKO
                    10/29/2001           cc:
                    12:03 PM             Fax to:
                                         Subject:     Design Change Request form

http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/slkbase.nsf/1ac66549a21402188625680b0002037e/3ca7d5dfc681aa86862565c500526323?OpenDocument&Highlight=0,5314847

IBM Support Line
Technical Document

   Document Number:   5314847
  Functional Area:                       General Information
  SubFunctional Area:               Customer Forms
  SubSubFunctional Area:       General
  Product:     N/A
  Release:     N/A

  Classification:   Public Use

 Document Title:Request for Design Change
 Document Description:
  The following information is required to submit a request for design
change.  The information submitted is used to determine if a business need
exists for supporting the change you are requesting.

Complete the following information and return to the Rochester Support
Center.

To e-mail:  Forward this completed form to:  v40915@us.ibm.com

To Fax:  Fax this completed form to the attention of Jim Vessey at one of
the following numbers:

     (507) 253-5124       or        (507) 253-2982

Note:  A reply can be expected within 90 days.

                           Requested Information

Request Title:

Combine the functions of a SQL VIEW with those of a SQL INDEX.

Provide a detailed description of request (including unique usage):

A SQL VIEW allows you to select certain fields from a database.  You can
also create work fields in the view.  A SQL INDEX allows you to order the
data within a database.  However, with an INDEX you cannot select only
certain fields, nor can you create work fields.  For example, I can do the
following with a VIEW:
CREATE VIEW ROB/deleteme
(ICLAS, IPROD) AS
  SELECT
   case iclas
   when '01' then '02'
   else iclas
  END,
  iprod
from iim
But I cannot do the following:
CREATE VIEW ROB/deleteme
(ICLAS, IPROD) AS
  SELECT
   case iclas
   when '01' then '02'
   else iclas
  END,
  iprod
from iim
order by iclas

Traditional AS/400 file methodology, using DDS, allows you to create a
logical file which combines the features of a VIEW with that of an INDEX.

Priority (check applicable priority)

___ Urgent
X___ High
___ Medium
___ Low

If there is a deadline (date) for obtaining solution, when is it and why do
you need it by that deadline?

The deadline is kind of open, as this is a rather strategic need.

Area where you believe the problem to be:  (check applicable area)

___ Client Access
X___ Database
___ General
___ Hardware
___ Language/Compiler
___ Lotus
___ Network Enable/Communications
___ Print/Fax
___ Save/Restore
___ Web Serving
___ Work Management
___ BRMS
___ Other:  (provide more information here)

Why is it important to your business to solve this request?  What is the
impact to your company if IBM does not provide a solution?

We have numerous requests for this kind of function.  While some of this
can be done using traditional DDS.  Much of this can be improved using SQL
functions, like CASE.  This will also enhance the database for GUI tools
like Operations Navigator.  DDS does not seem to be IBM's strategic
direction.

Select a requirement type: (Select one)

  X___ Long range or strategic (required to meet long-range needs)
  ___ Suggestion (you would like, but it is not critical)
  ___ Tactical (needed to solve a short-term problem)

Do you have a suggested solution?

Combine the functions of a SQL INDEX with those of a SQL VIEW.

Other related information:  (include problem number, if available)

(n/a)

Describe the environment in relation to this request.(Including the version
and release)

V5R1

Product Information

5722SS1-Operating System/400
5722ST1-DB2 Query Manager and SQL Development Kit for AS/400
Operations Navigator, etc

Customer Information

Customer number:  5373237
Contact name:  Rob Berendt, CCP
Street Address:  PO Box 2000
City, State, and Zip Code:  Kendallville, IN 46755
Company name:  Group Dekko Services, LLC
e-mail address:  rob@dekko.com
Phone number (including area code):  219-347-3100 ext 70560