Right on old bean!  I always thought it silly that you can't combine the
properties of a view with an index within SQL.  Is that a DB2 limitation,
an iSeries limitation, or an ANSI limitation?  And how does one go about
changing the standards?

Rob Berendt

==================
Benjamin Franklin

                    "Alexei Pytel"
                    <pytel@us.ibm.com>        To:     midrange-l@midrange.com
                    Sent by:                  cc:
                    midrange-l-admin@mi       Fax to:
                    drange.com                Subject:     Re: Custom sort in a
logical???

                    11/09/2001 03:40 PM
                    Please respond to
                    midrange-l

Yes, but you cannot create SQL view with ordering and you cannot create SQL
index on a derived field. So CASE approach may require SQL to build
temporary index for every query.

    Alexei Pytel

                    rob@dekko.com
                    Sent by:                  To:
midrange-l@midrange.com
                    midrange-l-admin@mi       cc:
                    drange.com                Subject:     Re: Custom sort
in a logical???

                    11/09/2001 01:33 PM
                    Please respond to
                    midrange-l

Wouldn't the CASE clause from SQL do the same thing?

Rob Berendt

==================
Benjamin Franklin

                    "Alexei Pytel"
                    <pytel@us.ibm.com>        To:
midrange-l@midrange.com
                    Sent by:                  cc:
                    midrange-l-admin@mi       Fax to:
                    drange.com                Subject:     Re: Custom sort
in a logical???

                    11/09/2001 02:24 PM
                    Please respond to
                    midrange-l

I think you are talking about sort sequence table, not a translation table.
It is a different type of table. It is created via CRTTBL command with
TBLTYPE(*STRSEQ).
It is not used to convert one character to another, but to specify
precedence between characters.

Sort sequence table operates on character level, not on full value of key
field.
If you need to set sorting rules on a full key level, you can create a
dictionary file, which will assign priorities to key values, join to this
dictionary and sort on priority field from a dictionary file.

    Alexei Pytel

                    "Dennis Lovelady"
                    <dlovelady@dtcc.com       To:
midrange-l@midrange.com
                    >                         cc:
                    Sent by:                  Subject:     Re: Custom sort
in a logical???
                    midrange-l-admin@mi
                    drange.com

                    11/09/2001 01:11 PM
                    Please respond to
                    midrange-l

Hi, Rob:

I don't understand why you say a translate table won't work.  Of course, I
don't know enough about the data...  but if Group is a single-byte field,
xlate table is the way to go, seems to me.

Dennis

rob@dekko.com@midrange.com on 11/09/2001 01:59:48 PM

Please respond to midrange-l@midrange.com

Sent by:  midrange-l-admin@midrange.com

To:   midrange-l@midrange.com
cc:
Subject:  Re: Custom sort in a logical???

I don't think a translation table will work.  Unless your translation table
converts Group 7 into Group 1 and Group 9 into Group 6, and leaves the rest
of the groups alone.

I haven't found a solution but I tried the following:
SELECT iclas FROM iim GROUP BY iclas
and got:
Itm
Cls
01
02
05
10

So then I tried
SELECT
 case iclas
 when '01' then '02'
 else iclas
 end
from iim
group by iclas
and got
CASE expression
      02
      02
      05
      10
Which looks good except there are two '02'.  So then I tried
SELECT
 case iclas
 when '01' then '02'
 else iclas
 end
from iim
group by 1
and got:
Column ICLAS or expression specified in SELECT list not valid.

But if you don't need the GROUP but a simple ORDER will work try:
SELECT
 case iclas
 when '01' then '02'
 else iclas
 end
from iim
order by 1

To create the view, or logical file:
CREATE VIEW ROB/deleteme
(ICLAS, IPROD) AS
  SELECT
   case iclas
   when '01' then '02'
   else iclas
  END,
  iprod
from iim

Then to test this new view:
select iclas
 from rob/deleteme
 group by iclas
will give you:
ICLAS
 02
 05
 10

==================
Benjamin Franklin

                    "Wills, Mike N.
                    (TC)"                     To:
"'midrange-l@midrange.com'" <midrange-l@midrange.com>
                    <MNWills@taylorcorp       cc:
                    .com>                     Fax to:
                    Sent by:                  Subject:     Custom sort in a
logical???
                    midrange-l-admin@mi
                    drange.com

                    11/09/2001 12:39 PM
                    Please respond to
                    midrange-l

Is it possible to do a custom sort order in a logical, if so how is this
done? I need to group some things together differently than how it was set
up. For example: I want Group 1 and 7 together and Group 6 and 9 together
for easy processing. The rest then get sorted as normal after that.

TIA,

Mike