It's purely experience.  Like pretty much anything, it's much easier to copy
an existing design than to do it from scratch, and I learned from some very
good people in the late 70s and early 80s.  I've basically been refining
that same design for a couple of decades now.

Think of it this way: given a DDS manual and an empty source library, how
long would it take you to write a subfile program from scratch?  On the
other hand, it's pretty easy to clone an existing program and then modify it
to do what you want.  A client/server architecture is of roughly the same
difficulty - the questions are a little different, but the number of them is
about the same.  And once you see it done, it's pretty easy to modify and
extend.

> I've watched quite a few failed or half-assed client server, and now web
> development projects.  Folks assume that they can set up a bunch of forms
> that cough up SQL statments and that the network, system, and
> database will handle everything.

This is what I've been fighting against the last four or five years.  The
creep of ODBC "development" that is little more than a bunch of ad hoc
database queries and updates.  A real client/server infrastructure takes
some upfront expense, but once that's done, your application development is
fast, flexible and powerful.

> A 5250 based environment was more forgiving of sloppy design.
> Behind us we
> have years of successful development based on primitive or just plain bad
> software architecture.  I think you're right that a standard, modular
> infrastructure can simplify code and insulate you from client and server
> dependencies.  Most of us, however, are waiting for someone to
> write it for
> us.

Interestingly enough, my agent and I have been discussing just such a book.
In it, I was intending to develop an entire client/server application from
scratch, jsut like I did in my eDeployment book for the server/client
(revitalization) architecture.  I'd detail each piece of the middleware, and
then show how it's used to write a real, if not overly complicated,
application.  Do you think that would be a useful book?

Joe Pluta
www.plutabrothers.com