I don't agree with this chain of thought. In fact, server applications when
well designed,
are very efficient. Interactive programs can be very efficient, but in an
AS/400 environment,
they are nowhere near as efficient as say, CICS applications. (Even given that
AS/400
interactive applications are probably more efficient that anything else out
there except for
old Wang VS programs.... ;)

I was talking to someone yesterday who mentioned this debate going on, and
after reading the
past 400 or so messages on the subject, I think we are all missing some crucial
point of logic.
I *think* it may be that the people in Rochester are slowing being replaced by
people from
mainframe backgrounds, who just have a really different train of thought than
pure midrange
people. Batch processing is a different animal entirely on a mainframe than an
interactive
application. In fact, programs like TSO and CICS  on a mainframe are a single
'batch'
application that just happens to provide interactive services.

The CFINT thing, well, it sort of makes sense from a mainframe point of view -
and there is
no doubt at all that IBM is in a STRONG push to unify their product line.

-Paul