----- Original Message -----
From: "Jon Paris" <Jon.Paris@Partner400.com>

> >> sets the bit in the first place?  What if wrkstn data mgmt is the
> component that sets it whenever a dspf is opened?
>
> It may well do - but I don't see what difference it makes.  It could still
> check on each subsequent call and error if it doesn't find it issue an
> error.

You are right. Technically, it is probably easy to thwart fast400.

The interesting aspect of this is what will IBM do and why.

What does the system services and outsourcing part of IBM, the part that
makes all the money, think?  WIll they refuse to service an account that
uses Fast400, potentially losing the account ?  Will they help an account
install the new version of fast400 that gets around the rochester fix?  Or
will they tell rochester to lay off so that they can continue generating the
profits that keep rochester in business.

How high up in ibm does the decision to break fast400 have to be made at?
If high enough, will a review of the interactive tax first have to be made?
Will whoever makes that decision reallize that telnet is ideal for the
emerging palm and pocket pc application market and that it is unwise to
overprice a system which is the best telnet server on the market and
supports the most feature rich telnet protocol?

Steve Richter