This may help but is simply my own opinion. (in case any lawyers out there are
sharpening their pencils!

I used to work for a company that produced various tools for the S/36. IBM
didn't particularly like some of the tools but some of
those experiences may be of help now.

1)     Are there not laws against this in the USA - I'm a UK person - about
restrictive practice

2)    No help here, but if it does mess about with the operating system or can
be proved to un-assemble the operating code to
produce the product then there maybe laws against Tiger Tools fdoing this and
subsequently they may be forced to stop producing the
product.

3)     From the 36 experience if it was the part of the operating system that
had been changed that was causing the problem then
IBMN were perfectly entitled to refuse support.  If not thene they needed to
honour the support contract.  We actually got a letter
from IBM stating this and had to show it to IBM support people on a number of
occasions.

4)    See above.

I agree that IBM produces sound products but there are a host of companies that
provide enhancements.  The S/36 products I was
working with RPGIII and ACCELER8 helped users immensely, and kept them on their
/36 and improved their lot.

Similarly I now work with automated testing tools, again improving upon the
sound machine that the iseries 400 is, but just making
life a lot easier for the developer.

I hope this is of help