Shannon, David,
somehow this message slipped through my attention, sorry for late reply.
We solved the grabbing of the LAN card by changing the backplane (!),
because as our SE said, it is where the information of how you set up
DST (IPL) devices is stored and it somehow never did this to survive
the next IPL. I cannot exactly tell if this is true, the 270 systems I
installed
in the meantime did not have this problem and later I was told by another
technician that they solved this with the lastest cumulative PTF package.
So maybe it was a LIC problem...
BTW: in the 270 systems I saw, they always put the 2771 card (internal
modem) in the upper position.

HTH, Philipp Rusch