Answers inline.

> 1) It appears that if the primary partition goes down, say for PTFs or
> install the next release of OS/400, then all partitions must go down.
Is
> this correct?

Yes.

> 2) Is the smallest unit that can be moved among partitions a whole
IOP?
> i.e.
> If I wanted to move a V.24 comm port from one partition to another,
would
> have to move everything on the IOP associated with that comm port
(perhaps
> 4
> comm ports instead of just the one I ?

Yes, if you specify a bus as being shared, then you could have the IOPs
on that bus available to multiple partitions, although not concurrently.
All IOAs would switch with the IOP.

> 3) Seems the same for other IO devices. If I have an IOP with a
storage
> controller on it that has the CDROM and TAP01, then I would have to
move
> that whole IOP to the other partition, including all devices. Either
that
> or
> have redundant IOPs and controllers and use some kind of external
> switching
> mechanism such as a SCSI switch or device with multiple interfaces on
it.

Yes, this would apply to all of your IOPs, with the exception of the
base IOP which would control the boot disk for the partition.

> 4) How are the ECS hardware and console shared? Can I still have a
5250
> console (DSP01) or do I have to use the LAN console and Ops Navigator?

Consoles are not shared, each partition would need to have a console
designated.  Probably could be twinaxial or other.  I'm not sure on the
ECS side of things.

> 5) What happens to the OS/400 and IBM program products licensing? Do I
pay
> IBM for one copy of V5Rx and then I can run it on all the partitions,
or
> do
> I have to pay for each partition separately, and same with the
LICPGMs?

All IBM software is licensed for the entire machine at the tier level
for the entire box and can be used on all partitions.

> Thanks All,
> -Marty

Marty,

Hardware planning is key.  Figure out the business use for each
partition, then get together with a good hardware person.

Andy Nolen-Parkhouse