so with varlen,  if I define a record with 1024 characters but only use 50
characters for 100 records, and then 1000 characters for one record, is my
file size.

(50*100)+1000 = 6000 bytes

or would it be 1024 * 101 = 103424 bytes

I know there is additional overhead, but for the sake of the conversation...
it would only use 6000 bytes of storage...

thanks, tim