Ummmm... the "darling of the media" is, and always has been Windows, and
any other thing Microsoft touches.   No matter how crappy Windows is, no
matter how much you can't make Windows do what you want it to, no matter
how insecure and unstable it is, the media makes it into the greatest
invention ever.   "The program that made computers usable."

The reason that GUI is such a huge whopping big deal is because of
Windows.  Not Linux.  Not Unix.

The reason that everything MUST be GUI is because the users feel that
Windows is SOOOOO much easier to use.   Even though it's not!  Even though
running an option from an OS/400 menu is much easier, they STILL insist
on Windows.   THATS why everything must be GUI.

Incidentally, the assertion that Linux is character based is a half-truth.
Unix is designed to serve many terminals connected to one central system,
just as OS/400 is.  Linux & friends have a graphical environment called
'X11' which gives it the best of both worlds.

OS/400 does not have a graphical environment at all.   And it's character
displays being "screen at a time" based are more efficient for processing
purposes, but MUCH less flexible than the character at a time model that's
used in the Unix/PC world.

At any rate, this isn't really a war between Unix & OS/400 for me.  I use
them both, they compliment each other.  They've both got great strengths
and weaknesses.

It's Windows that's missing the strengths, IMHO.