        From:   Buck Calabro [SMTP:Buck.Calabro@commsoft.net]
        Sent:   Thursday, October 04, 2001 2:01 PM
        To:     midrange-l@midrange.com
        Subject:        RE: Problem with usleep procedure

        >Can anyone tell me why the program below doesn't work? The
        >program compiles
        >and runs but doesn't delay at all.
        >
        >D delay           PR            10I 0 ExtProc('usleep')
        >D  delayTime                    10u 0 value
        >
        >D PauseTime       s             10u 0 inz(30000000)
        >D result          s             10i 0
        >C                   eval      result = delay(PauseTime)
        >C                   return

        Sorry for the delay, Albert.  It's been a hectic one!  I have never
used
        usleep; I use sleep.  Looking at the manual, IBM recommends
setitmer()
        instead.  I ran this on V4R5 and got the same results as you - no
error and
        no delay.

        qsysinc/sys types defines useconds_t as unsigned int, so that
doesn't seem
        to be the problem, but the manual says that it throws an error if
trying to
        delay more than a million microseconds.  If you really want to delay
30
        seconds, try sleep.  It takes seconds instead of microseconds.
          --buck